Add a splash of colour to your garden!
- Basket- wired or solid sided (like a rattan basket)
- Basket liner – if using a wired basket
- Compost- peat free container & basket
- Slow-release fertiliser- such as Miracle-Gro All Purpose Continuous Release Fertiliser
- Water retaining crystals- such as Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Gel
- Pot or bucket- up-turned to support the basket
- Basket plants – choose a mixture of upright and trailing plants.
How many plants do I need?
A general rule of thumb for hanging baskets is to use one plant per inch of basket diameter- e.g. 12 plants per 30cm (12 inch) hanging basket. The only exception to this is when you use strong-growing plants such as fuchsias and geraniums. For these varieties, you’ll only need to use 5 plants per 30cm (12 inch) hanging basket.
Planting your hanging basket
- Rest the basket on an up-turned pot to keep it stable
- If using a wire basket, add the liner so it is snug in the basket. This doesn’t apply if you are using a rattan basket
- Fill the basket by two-thirds of compost, slow-release fertiliser and water-retaining crystal mixture and firm down
- Insert your chosen centre plant
- Add any trailing plants around the edge
- Fill any gaps with assorted upright basket plants
- Fill in any gaps with further compost mix and firm down
- Water well and hang in position.