Jobs around the Garden…
- Prune autumn fruiting raspberries and established blackcurrants, also prune apple and pear trees and other fruit bushes.
- Keep vegetable and ornamental beds clear of weeds.
- Onion/shallot sets can be planted out now.
- Cut back overgrown shrubs and feed with Bonemeal.
- Take hard wood cuttings of shrubs.
- Spruce up your containers with a top dressing of the appropriate compost.
- Dig farm manure into beds and borders.
- Clean patios, decking and paths of any algae etc.
- If you have a greenhouse check that the glass is secure and replace any damaged panes. Clean it out ready for use.
- If you have pots and seed trays to be re-used give them a thorough clean and sterilise them.
- To get the soil warming up a little early cover with black plastic sheeting, cloches or fleece.
- Look out for early flowering plants such as Snowdrops, Cyclamen coum, and Hellebores.
Flowers to sow…
- Sweet Peas
Vegetables to grow…
- Brussels Sprouts
- Early Carrot
We have a ‘sow now seeds’ stand in store which will keep you up-to-date with what you can be sowing each month!
Wildlife Gardening in February
- Put up nest boxes for the birds
- Don’t forget to keep your feeders topped up and put some food out for ground feeding birds.
- Keep your bird bath topped up and clean.
- Continue to put food out for hedgehogs.
- If you haven’t already done so now is a good time to build a log/rock shelter for wildlife.