Jobs around the Garden
- Water plants regularly. Water in the mornings or evenings to avoid losing water through evaporation!
- Feed your plants with Miraclegro. If you invest in a hose-end feeder, you will be able to water and feed at the same time.
- Deadhead flowers, such as roses, so new flowers can bloom.
- Lawns, of course, will need mowing and if the weather is dry, watering as well. Remember a good soak once a week is far better than just sprinkling once a day.
- Treat paths and drives with weedkiller.
Vegetables to grow in July
Sow these outdoors, directly into well-prepared soil, in either beds, borders or containers:
- Salad Leaves
- Pak Choi
- Spring Onions
Plant these seedlings into vegetable beds:
- Sprouting Broccoli
- Winter Cabbage
- Cauliflower, Kale
- Brussell Sprouts
Flowers to sow in July
Wildlife in July
- Keep bird feeders topped up.
- Keep the bird bath full of fresh water.
- Keep a look-out for bats on summer evenings.
- Adult frogs/toads will be leaving the pond now.
- Marigolds around the vegetable plot will attract hoverflies.
- Plant annuals/perennials to attract pollinating insects.
- Leave hedges untrimmed longer to shelter wildlife.
- Try not to disturb nesting birds as you work around the garden.